student life

Traditions and Spirit of IU teaches incoming freshmen how to show Hoosier pride

Traditions-spiritsIU_AnnaTiplick.jpg

“I’m on the Edge of Glory” by Lady Gaga played as students funneled into the stands of the Indiana Memorial Stadium with thundersticks and hearts of cream and crimson. 

As a part of Welcome Week, freshmen were invited Friday to Traditions and Spirit of IU to get a chance to learn chants, listen to songs, hear from different sports teams and form the first trident-shaped freshman class picture on the stadium field. 

Freshman Savannah Stauth was excited before the event.

“I get to show my Hoosier pride,” Stauth said. 

Having a brother who just graduated from IU, Stauth knew a bit about what to expect. While Stauth knew some of the IU traditions, she wanted to learn more. 

At Traditions and Spirit, the freshman class was taught the fight song, different chants students yell at athletic events and “fists and blades.”

Cheerleaders and the Marching Hundred performed. T-shirts were thrown at the crowd from orientation leaders, and for an hour students danced and sang songs while clapping their thundersticks.

First year students gathered at Memorial Stadium to learn about the traditions and spirits of IU athletics.

While freshman Jacob Bailey didn’t expect to stand on the bleachers for an hour, he said he’s excited to attend football games because of the energy he felt at Traditions and Spirit of IU. His parents and grandpa also attended IU. 

“I wanted to join the family tradition,” Bailey said. 

For twins Paige and Meghan Murray, though, the spirit of IU has always been this way, as they’ve been IU fans for life. Meghan said the event only reaffirmed her positive view of IU. To Paige, IU’s spirit is fun, respectful to tradition and very inclusive.

“As the athletic director said, 'All the teams are one,' every different dorm and different person is one,” Paige said. “We are all IU.”