crime & courts

Police chase man after he allegedly shoots gun and escapes in car

A 25-year-old man was arrested Sunday morning after police say he shot a gun in a parking lot and evaded police both on foot and in a car.

Bloomington resident Tyjon Cowan was charged with gun possession by a serious violent felon, criminal recklessness and resisting law enforcement. He was also cited for driving without a driver's license. 

Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said police were looking into a large crowd gathered in a parking lot near East Kirkwood Avenue around 3:30 a.m. Sunday when they heard several gunshots nearby. No injuries were reported as of Monday morning.

Officers arrived at the scene and saw Cowan running toward South Grant Street, Pedigo said. Police ran toward Cowan and saw him enter a car and begin driving south. The driver's side door was open, and the car was running when Cowan entered. 

An officer caught up to Cowan and followed his vehicle to the 1600 block of West Bloomfield Road where Cowan stopped. Pedigo said Cowan didn’t follow traffic laws during the chase and did not have a driver’s license.

Cowan told police he'd been assaulted, and officers did note abrasions on his body and dirt on his pants. He would not answer additional police questions. Cowan was convicted of robbery in 2014, which meant he was not allowed to possess a firearm.

Police found a 9 mm handgun near the intersection of Landmark Avenue and Bloomfield Road after an officer remembered he ran over an object while searching for Cowan. 

Officers returned to the area where the gunshots were heard and found seven 9 mm casings near the 100 block of South Grant Street. DNA testing may be used to link Cowan to the gun. Both BPD and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the case.