sports men's soccer

New Team, New Field, Easy Win: No. 2 IU defeats DePaul in final exhibition game of 2019

Spiumsdepaulbrief082519 (2).jpg

A renovated field and team were key ingredients to a 3-1 exhibition victory for IU men’s soccer against DePaul University on Saturday. The No. 2 Hoosiers won their first home game of 2019 and closed out the preseason with a 2-1 record.

It took just four minutes for IU to adjust to the new environment and get on the board with a goal off a corner kick by junior forward Thomas Warr. The forward scored in all three of IU’s preseason games and will look to be a leader for those new to the team. 

Seventeen minutes later, another ball was buried in the net. Junior forward Ian Black scored the second goal of the game in the 21st minute and doubled the lead for the Hoosiers. 

Following a goal by DePaul which cut the lead in half, the IU defenders advanced the ball up the field for the last highlight of the game.

Junior defender A.J. Palazzolo headed in the third and final goal of the night for the Hoosiers from just outside the goal box. Freshman defender Brett Bebej earned the assist on the play with a left cross from the sideline area. 

Spiumsdepaulbrief082519 (1).jpg
Redshirt junior A.J. Palazzolo passes the ball during IU’s win over DePaul University on Aug. 24 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers defeated the Blue Demons 3-1. Sam House

IU will begin the regular season Friday, Aug. 30, against the University of Pittsburgh. The University of California, Los Angeles and Northwestern will play before the IU match at 5 p.m. to start off the Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic at Bill Armstrong Stadium.