Yogi Ferrell's contract guaranteed through 2019-20 season

Senior guard Yogi Ferrell walks off the court after defeating Kentucky in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa. The Hoosiers won 73-67.

The Sacramento Kings had the option to either waive former IU guard Yogi Ferrell or guarantee his $3.2 million salary.

The Kings chose the latter and re-signed Ferrell through the 2019-20 NBA season.

Ferrell signed with the Kings last summer after previously playing with the Dallas Mavericks. In the 2017-18 season, Ferrell averaged 10.2 points, three rebounds and 2.5 assists per game with the Mavericks.

But he struggled to find similar production in Sacramento last season. The 26-year-old averaged 5.9 points, 1.9 assists and 1.5 rebounds in 15 minutes per game.

Going undrafted in 2016, Ferrell has played in three NBA seasons after playing for four years at IU.

Ferrell averaged 17 points per game in his final three seasons with the Hoosiers after averaging just seven his freshman year. IU made the NCAA Tournament in three of the four years Ferrell played, including two Sweet 16s.

Senior guard Yogi Ferrell runs the ball to the basket to score. Ferrell scored 11 points against Nebraska to help the Hoosiers defeat the Cornhuskers 80-64 Feb 17.
Senior guard Yogi Ferrell runs the ball to the basket to score. Ferrell scored 11 points against Nebraska to help the Hoosiers defeat the Cornhuskers 80-64 Feb 17. Noble Guyon and Noble Guyon

Ferrell's senior season in 2015-16 was the last time IU made the NCAA Tournament as well as won the regular season Big Ten Championship.

In his three NBA seasons, he has appeared in 199 games, making 53 starts. He has averaged 8.6 points, 2.6 assists and 2.4 rebounds in 22.8 minutes per game. He’s a career 37.4% shooter from behind the 3-point line and an 83.4% free throw shooter.

As he enters his fourth NBA season, playing time in Sacramento will be tough to get. The Kings signed Corey Joseph to a 3-year, $37 million contract on the first day of free agency, and he is expected to play major minutes behind starting point guard De’Aaron Fox.