Stevie Scott named to Maxwell Award watch list

StevieScottTouchdown.jpg

IU sophomore running back Stevie Scott III was named to the Maxwell Award watch list, announced by the Maxwell Football Club on Monday afternoon.

The award was named in honor of Robert W. "Tiny" Maxwell and has been given to America's College Player of the Year since 1937.

Scott is one of 80 players on the watch list.

The Syracuse, New York, native had a breakout freshman seaso when he became the 13th IU player to rush for 1,000 or more yards in a single season. His 1,137 yards rank 14th all-time in program history and currently stands as the true freshman record.

Scott also holds true freshmen records with 228 attempts, 10 touchdowns and six 100-yard games. Among true freshmen running backs nationally, Scott ranked second in yardage, 100-yard games and attempts and third in rushing touchdowns.

In the Big Ten, Scott finished fourth in attempts per game, tied-for-fourth in rushing touchdowns, fifth in rushing yardage and rushing yardage per game, eighth in all-purpose yardage, tied-for-eighth in total touchdowns and 10th in all-purpose yardage per game.

The 6-foot-2-inch, 233-pound running back was named IU's Offensive Newcomer of the Year and also earned honorable mention All-Big Ten accolades and Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors twice.

Semifinalists for the Maxwell Award will be announced Oct. 29, and three finalists will be unveiled Nov. 25. The winner of the award will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Dec. 12. The formal presentations of these awards will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Gala at the Tropicana Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on March 13, 2020.

Scott and the Hoosiers kick off the 2019 campaign against the Ball State Cardinals at noon Aug. 31 in Lucas Oil Stadium.