business & economy bloomington

Panel to discuss farmers’ market legal implications Thursday

SCHOONER

The City of Bloomington has arranged an official public panel at 6 p.m. Thursday night in City Hall to discuss potential legal implications for the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market following allegations that a market vendor is run by white supremacists. 

A letter sent to the farmers’ market in June alleged one of the market’s vendors, Schooner Creek Farm, is operated by members of the white nationalist group Identity Evropa. 

The Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market Advisory Council held a public meeting on the matter June 17, where many citizens addressed their concerns about Schooner Creek Farm’s presence at the market. 

"I'm of Jewish ancestry," said a man who only gave his first name, Daniel, at the meeting. "If they get power again, I'm gone."

Thursday’s meeting will discuss public questions raised at previous city meetings about the issue, according to a press release. The public can ask additional questions if there is time remaining. 

Panel members include IU Maurer School of Law professor Jeannine Bell, law school professor emeritus and adjunct professor of religious studies Dan Conkle and IU Ph.D. student Abby Ang, who drafted and sent the Schooner Creek Farm letter to the farmers’ market.