Football's Hunter Littlejohn gets on Rimington Trophy Watch List

Littlejohn Undoes his Helmet

The Rimington Trophy Committee announced Friday afternoon IU football fifth-year senior Hunter Littlejohn earned a spot on the Rimington Trophy Watch List.

The Rimington Trophy is presented annually to the most outstanding center in college football. Since its inception, the 17-year old award has raised over $4.2 million for the Boomer Esiason Foundation, which is committed to finding a cure for cystic fibrosis. 

The award is named after Dave Rimington, who was a consensus first-team All-American center at the University of Nebraska in 1981 and 1982, during which time he became the John Outland Trophy's only two-time winner as the nation's finest college interior lineman.

Littlejohn started under center for the Hoosiers 16 times over the past two seasons, appearing in all 24 games. In 2018, he allowed just three sacks in 904 snaps and was named IU offensive player of the week following the team's win against University of Virginia on Sept. 8.

He was part of the offensive line that allowed IU to rank second in the Big Ten in first downs per game at 23.5, third in the conference in passing offense at 257.8 yards per game and tied-for-sixth in passing touchdowns with 20.

The center with the most first team votes will be determined the winner. If there is a tie with first team votes, then the center with the most second team votes will win. If there is still a tie, the winner will be determined by a majority vote from the Rimington Trophy committee. The winner will be recognized at the Rimington Trophy Presentation at the Rococo Theatre on Jan. 18, 2020 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Meanwhile, Littlejohn and IU kick off the 2019 season Aug. 31 against Ball State University at Lucas Oil Stadium.