Tuesday, March 19

crime & courts

Foot pursuit leads to burglary charges for two men

A burglary call Monday morning lead to a foot chase between an officer and suspects.

Jessie Jensen, 29, and Brent Ray, 31, were arrested Monday and charged with resisting law enforcement and burglary. Ray was also charged with possession of meth, a controlled substance and cocaine, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Pam Gladish said.

A concerned neighbor called police around 6:53 a.m. Monday after seeing two men enter a home under renovation. The witness told police the men crawled over the fence and gave a description of the men, Gladish said. 

After arriving at the scene, one officer blocked off the front entrance to the home while the other blocked off the back entrance. They didn't find anyone in the home.  

Gladish said another officer saw Jensen and Ray, who matched the description of the suspects, near the intersection of Henderson and Grimes streets. He stopped his police car and exited the vehicle. Jensen and Ray dropped their bags and ran from the officer. There was a short foot pursuit before the officer apprehended Ray. 

The officer went back to the scene and obtained both of the men's bags. Inside Ray's bag, police found meth, a controlled substance and cocaine.

Ray told police he and Jensen were walking around when Jensen suggested they burglarize the home. After the men got inside, Ray told police Jensen drank a beer and took a hammer. 

Jensen was arrested Monday around 9:53 p.m. after an officer saw him walking in an alley behind Middle Way House.