Coy Cronk placed on 2019 Outland Trophy watch list

IUFB_oline.jpg

The Football Writers Association of America announced the preseason watch list for the 2019 Outland Trophy Tuesday afternoon, and IU senior offensive lineman Coy Cronk is on the list.

Cronk is one of 83 interior linemen on the list. He has started all 36 games at left tackle since his getting to IU, missing just one game due to injury.

Last season, he helped the Hoosiers rank second in the Big Ten and tied for 24th nationally in first downs per game at 23.5 and third in the league – 36th nationally – in passing offense with 257.8 yards per game. Cronk is a two-time IU offensive player of the week and earned 2016 Freshman All-American honors.

The Outland Trophy is in its 74th year, making it the third-oldest major college football award. Created in 1946 when Dr. John Outland presented the FWAA with a financial contribution to initiate the award, the Outland Trophy is given to the best interior lineman in college football every year. Outland believed linemen didn't get the credit they deserved and wanted an award to recognize them.

Candidates for the award can be added or removed during the season. The Big Ten is tied with the SEC for most candidates with 13 each. The list includes 32 offensive tackles, 19 defensive tackles, 18 guards and 14 centers. Only interior linemen on offense or defense are eligible for the award; ends are not eligible.

The winner is chosen from three finalists who are a part of the annual FWAA All-America Team. The FWAA All-America Committee, after voting input from the entire membership, selects a 26-man first team and eventually the three Outland finalists.

Up to eight semifinalists will be named Nov. 20, and three finalists for the award will be announced Nov. 25.

The recipient of the 74th Outland Trophy will be announced during ESPN's "The Home Depot College Football Awards" show Dec. 12, airing from the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta. The official presentation to the winner will be made at the NFID Outland Trophy Awards Dinner sponsored by Werner Enterprises and produced by the Greater Omaha Sports Committee on Jan. 15, 2020.

IU opens the 2019 campaign with a noon kickoff Aug. 31 against Ball State University at Lucas Oil Stadium.