Buskirk-Chumley Theater to screen '2001: A Space Odyssey'

2001-a-space-odyssey_934add13.jpg

The Buskirk-Chumley Theater is set to take audiences beyond time and space with a screening of Stanley Kubrick’s classic science fiction film “2001: A Space Odyssey.” The classic film, which celebrated its 50th anniversary last year, will screen at 7:30 p.m. July 26.

Doors for the screening open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5. The screening is a part of the Buskirk-Chumley’s ongoing Summer Sci-Fi film series, which kicked off July 12 with a screening of the 1985 film “Back to the Future.”

Written by Stanley Kubrick in conjunction with science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke, “2001: A Space Odyssey” is a legendary cinematic exploration of mankind’s place among the stars. Told in three distinct chapters spanning from the dawn of mankind to the titular year, the movie follows the evolution of man into a spacefaring being and beyond. 

“An imposing black structure provides a connection between the past and the future in this adaptation of a short story by revered sci-fi author, Arthur C. Clarke,” says the Buskirk-Chumley webpage for the event.

“2001: A Space Odyssey” was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry in 1991 for its cultural, historical and aesthetic significance. It was named the greatest movie of all time by the Moving Arts Film Journal in 2010.