sports   |   women's basketball

Ali Patberg granted sixth year of eligibility

iuwbbminny7

Junior guard Ali Patberg shoots the ball March 7 during IU's second round Big Ten Tournament game against Minnesota in Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Patberg scored a team-high 20 points in IU's 66-58 win over Minnesota. Bobby Goddin Buy Photos

IU women's basketball Head Coach Teri Moren brought up the possibility of her soon-to-be senior guard, Ali Patberg, receiving a sixth year of eligibility after the season concluded.

"We're trying," Moren said April 16. "We are planning on it, but that's not to say it's guaranteed."

Friday morning, the program announced Patberg was granted that sixth year from the NCAA. She will now have two years of eligibility left and can play with the program through the 2020-21 season.

Patberg transferred from University of Notre Dame in 2017. She had to redshirt her freshman year with the Fighting Irish after tearing her ACL in 2015-16. She then played in 22 games her sophomore season. Patberg sat out the 2017-18 season with the Hoosiers due to NCAA transfer rules.

In her first season with IU last year, her second collegiate season, Patberg averaged a team-high 15.8 points per game and a team-high 4.8 assists. She helped lead the Hoosiers to a 21-13 overall record and to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

She scored in double figures in 25 games and was named to the All-Big Ten Second team.

Patberg was listed as a junior last season with IU, but with her sixth year of eligibility granted, she will be listed as a junior again for this upcoming season.

The full schedule has not yet been released for next season, but IU knows some of its nonconference opponents, including the likes of University of South Carolina, Baylor University, Washington State University and University of Miami.

More in Sports