sports women's soccer

Women's soccer adds Emily Basten as volunteer assistant coach

Soccer Filler

IU women's soccer Head Coach Erwin van Bennekom announced Tuesday that Emily Basten would be a volunteer assistant coach for women's soccer.

She played for the Hoosiers when she transferred to IU from Central Michigan University for her senior season in 2015. Basten spent that year playing on the defensive line for the Hoosiers and earned the Big Ten Sportsmanship award. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in neuroscience.

Basten previously worked at IU as a graduate assistant for the past two years while studying in the School of Public Environmental Affairs, earning her Master’s Degree.

“I am really excited to continue my career with Indiana women’s soccer as a volunteer assistant coach,” Basten said in a press release.

Basten also has experience coaching outside of IU. She coached the Cutters and Alliance FC, two elite soccer clubs teams located in southern Indiana.

“She’s knowledgeable about the athletic department, the history of our program and most importantly the game of soccer itself,” van Bennekom said in the release. “We are excited that she has decided to stay on as a coach and continue to develop her role with Indiana women’s soccer.”

Aside from her training and on-field coaching responsibilities, Basten will be coordinating the clinics and camps for the team.