Wednesday's Indiana All-Star game offers glimpse into possible 2020 IU recruiting class

_MG_0448.jpg

NEW CASTLE, Ind – When Archie Miller was first hired as the IU men’s basketball coach in 2017, he mentioned how he wanted to focus on recruiting within the state more than the program had in the past.

Heading into his third season as head coach with his second recruiting class, Miller has signed five of his seven recruits in-state, and that number will look to grow each offseason.

On Wednesday night, the Indiana All-Star game took place between the Seniors and the Juniors. It’s the only meeting between the two but within the confines of New Castle High School, IU fans in attendance had the chance to see two players who are high on the Hoosiers' radar for the 2020 class.

Bloomington High School South guard Anthony Leal and Culver Academies guard Trey Galloway are both undecided as of now but have already visited IU and are considered strong favorites to sign with the program.

According to the 247Sports crystal ball, both players are currently a 100% lean for IU.

Going against the likes of 2019 IU signees four-star center Trayce Jackson-Davis and three-star guard Armaan Franklin, Leal and Galloway combined for 20 points, nine rebounds and seven assists.

“We knew coming into it that we’re seen as the warm-up game for them to see what they need to critique before they play Kentucky, but we knew coming out it was something we could prove ourselves,” Leal said. “No one really thought we could hang with these guys, but we did, so it was good.”

Jackson-Davis had 16 points with five rebounds but also had a couple of highlight dunks as he had his way most of the night in the paint. The Center Grove High School alum was an efficient 7-10 from the field as well.

Franklin was 6-14 from the field with 15 points but wasn’t hesitant from beyond the arc, and his six assists were the second most amongst all players. Both players were aggressive throughout the game against the Juniors, whether it was in the paint or on the defensive end.

Despite losing to the Senior team, Leal said he was just happy to have the opportunity to go against some of the higher-level players.

“It was fun,” Leal said. “We got some momentum going to start, we were hanging with them. It was good for all of us just to play with each other.”

Throughout the game, Leal and Galloway were feeding off each other one passing in the paint as the other made hard cuts before finding each other on the perimeter for a jump shot. Neither of them carried a heavy load offensively, but both made sure to keep the ball movement amongst the team consistent and flowing.

“It was a great experience to represent the state of Indiana with that jersey on my chest,” Galloway said. “It was really fun to go out there and compete against the seniors.”

IMG_8583.jpg
Culver Academy's Trey Galloway looks for the open teammate under the basket June 5 at New Castle High School. Galloway announced his commitment to IU Friday to become the first commit of the 2020 class. Phillip Steinmetz

Immediately after the game, fans decked out in IU gear asked to take pictures with both Leal and Galloway, despite their recruitment still being wide open. 

There hasn’t been much noise within the 2020 IU recruiting class yet, but after the summer, Leal and Galloway could be some of the first names associated with the Hoosiers.

“It’s a tremendous privilege and a blessing just being able to wear this uniform and have a chance to do what not everyone has a chance to do,” Leal said.