sports   |   men's basketball

Romeo Langford invited to green room for NBA Draft

northwestern

Freshman guard Romeo Langford searches for a cutting teammate against Northwestern on Dec. 1, 2018, in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers lost Tuesday night's game to the Wildcats, 73-66. Ty Vinson Buy Photos

The 2019 NBA draft will take place June 20 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, simultaneously airing on ESPN.

Each year, projected top prospects are invited to the green room. The green room is a room where players can wait with families, agents and former coaches until their name gets called and they go up on stage and shake NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's hand.

The room is designed to boost television coverage for the draft and allow the highest picks to be highlighted during the show.

For this year's draft, nine players were originally invited to the green room. On Wednesday, the NBA announced the addition of three more, and former IU player Romeo Langford is one of them.

Coming into college, Langford was a top-five recruit nationwide and was always considered a lottery pick for the NBA Draft.

But Langford's inconsistent and injury plagued run with the Hoosiers lowered his draft stock. Despite that, Langford still managed 16.5 points per game and was the highest scoring freshman in the Big Ten, and fifth nationally.

Freshman guard Romeo Langford shoots a three-pointer against Butler University on Dec. 15 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. IU trailed Butler 33-28 at halftime. Anna Tiplick Buy Photos

Langford was invited along with University of Kentucky's Tyler Herro and University of North Carolina's Nassir Little. The three join the likes of likely number one pick Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Darius Garland, RJ Barrett and many more.

As of Thursday, four more players were invited to the green room. The total is now 16, only four shy of last year's 20. 

Langford is the fifth Hoosier in the last 10 years to receive an invite to the green room.

In 2013, Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller were two Hoosiers in the green room. Oladipo went second overall to the Orlando Magic and Zeller went fourth overall to the Charlotte Bobcats, who are now called the Charlotte Hornets.

Zeller is still with the Hornets where he logs 25 minutes per game and scored 10.1 points per game last season.

Oladipo was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2016 before being traded again to the Indiana Pacers in 2017. With the Pacers, Oladipo averaged 23.1 points per game his first season, but suffered a knee injury in January this year, which caused him to miss the rest of the season.

Cody Zeller, Tom Crean and Victor Oladipo put their arms around one another as they are interviewed by a CBS anchor after IU's 72-71 win against Michigan on Mar. 10 at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. Steph Langan Buy Photos

In 2014, Noah Vonleh was in the green room and selected as the ninth overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets.

Vonleh has bounced around with a few different NBA teams in his career, but had his highest scoring outing last season with the New York Knicks when he averaged 8.4 points per game.

Forward Noah Vonleh makes a move toward the basket during a game against Penn State at Assembly Hall on Feb. 12, 2014. Vonleh is now playing for the New York Knicks. Buy Photos

OG Anunoby was the last Hoosier to be in the green room when he was drafted 23rd overall to the Toronto Raptors in 2017.

Anunoby averaged 5.9 points per game his rookie season and this season he upped the average to seven. But in April, the former Hoosier needed an emergency appendectomy, keeping him out of action in the postseason.

Anunoby has recently been cleared to play as his team is leading the Golden State Warriors 3-2 in the NBA Finals.

Freshman OG Anunoby shoots a 2-point basket during the game against Michigan State on Sunday at the Breslin Center in East Lansing, Michigan. The Hoosiers lost 69-88. Haley Ward and Haley Ward Buy Photos

In the latest NBA mock draft, Langford is projected to go 23rd to the Utah Jazz. Other mock drafts, such as Bleacher Report's, has Langford going as high as 14th to the Boston Celtics.

No matter the projections, his green room invite gives the impression the NBA thinks he'll be drafted in first round for sure, and possibly top 20.

Langford's fate will be determined a week from today. The 2019 NBA Draft is scheduled to start at 8:30 p.m.

More in Sports