sports women's basketball men's soccer

Brenna Wise, Jeremiah Gutjahr win Big Ten Outstanding Sportsmanship Awards

Brenna Wise

The Big Ten conference announced IU women's basketball player Brenna Wise and IU men's soccer player Jeremiah Gutjahr are IU's recipients of the Big Ten Outstanding Sportsmanship Award.

The pair was chosen as two of 28 honorees selected from a group of more than 350 students honored through the academic year who had displayed positive sportsmanship. Each Big Ten school selected one member of each varsity sports team to be chosen as a Sportsmanship Award honoree, and two were then selected from each institution.

The conference states all of the Sportsmanship Award winners have distinguished themselves through sportsmanship and ethical behavior. In addition, the honorees must be in good academic standing and must have demonstrated good citizenship outside of the sports-competition setting.

Wise, heading into her senior year, played her first season as Hoosier last season after transferring from University of Pittsburgh in 2017.

She started in all 34 games last season and averaged 12 points per game and led the team in rebounds with 6.8 boards per game. Wise was one of the best free-throw shooters in the nation as she led the Big Ten and was seventh in the country in free-throw percentage at 91.6%. 

Wise helps Patberg
Junior Brenna Wise helps fellow junior Ali Patberg off the ground following a foul during the game against Missouri State on Dec. 9 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.  Alexis Oser

Wise was a big part of IU's run last season, advancing to the NCAA Tournament for the sixth time in school history and going to the Round of 32 for the third time in program history. She will be returning with all but two of her teammates that were a part of that run, including five new freshman, and will look to build off that momentum when the season starts in the fall.

Off the court, Wise is pursuing a marketing degree in the Kelley School of Business and has a 3.82 GPA.

As for Gutjahr, who graduated in December, he appeared in all 24 matches for men's soccer last fall, starting in 23.

Although the midfielder doesn't fill the stat sheet, his presence on the field was much needed in IU's run to the College Cup. He helped the Hoosier defense record an NCAA-best 15 shutouts and had one goal against Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament championship game.

Gutjahr
Senior midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr centers the ball during the Big Ten Tournament championship on Nov. 11 at Grand Park. Gutjahr sat out this time last year due to injury.  Alexis Oser

Gutjahr played in 71 games in his career at IU, and constantly controlled the middle of the field.

He finished the season as a top candidate for the Senior CLASS award, and graduated with a degree in Accounting and Finance.

Gutjahr is currently playing in the MLS with the Chicago Fire. He was signed Jan. 22 and has appeared in five games for the Fire so far, accumulating 430 minutes and one assist in his young career.