Bloomington campus construction projects approved by trustees

<p>A parking area at Ballantine Hall will be transformed into a new public gathering courtyard. This space will include more bike storage and allow for easier access to emergency vehicles from Third Street. </p>

A parking area at Ballantine Hall will be transformed into a new public gathering courtyard. This space will include more bike storage and allow for easier access to emergency vehicles from Third Street.

Several renovation projects will begin and continue across the IU-Bloomington campus, according to an IU press release. The IU Board of Trustees has approved projects at the Lilly Library, Ballantine Hall, North Woodlawn Avenue and a number of greek houses.

Lilly Library renovations

The Lilly Library will see a number of renovations to utilities, technology, accessibility and security. According to the release, these improvements will allow the library's collections to be kept and presented more appropriately.

A gift from the Lilly Endowment will be the primary funding of the $12.4 million project.

Ballantine Hall renovations

A public gathering area will replace the parking structure at Ballantine Hall. This landscaped space will include more bike storage and allow for easier access to emergency vehicles from Third Street.

A rooftop terrace and plaza will occupy the area above the current mechanical room that will stay.

The new renovations will also include an indoor bike storage area, making Ballantine the bicycle hub of the campus as was outlined in the IU Bicycle Master Plan

Campus gateway

The 2010 Campus Master Plan outlined plans to add more campus gateways. The newest one will be installed on the north side of the North Woodlawn Avenue and 17th Street intersection.

This gateway will serve as an entrance to the campus' athletic district and will also assist with flow of pedestrians during large athletic events.

Greek house renovations

Exterior renovations will be made to Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority's chapter house including new windows, siding and a patio.

An addition to the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity's chapter house was approved to replace dorms that will be converted into a residence for the new house director.

A project to replace the patio at Acacia fraternity's chapter house was also approved.