sports men's soccer

IU men's soccer adds two players for the 2019 season

Soccer Filler

With an already impressive recruiting class, IU men’s soccer announced the addition of two more players Tuesday afternoon.

Joris Ahlinvi from Gujan-Mestras, France, and Quinten Helmer from Amsterdam will be joining the 2019 recruiting class, which prior to their commitments was ranked No. 5 in the nation by Top Drawer Soccer.

Ahlinvi is a transfer from Florida International University and will have one year of eligibility with IU. He appeared in 47 matches for FIU, starting in 43 of them and totaling 16 goals, nine assists and 41 points in his three seasons.

In 2018, Ahlinvi was on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List, an award former Hoosier Andrew Gutman won.

“Joris will be a great addition to our team next fall,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said in an IU press release. "His ability to unbalance off the dribble, elite athleticism and overall attacking creativity will provide an immediate impact next fall. We are very excited to have a player with his ability join our program.”

Helmer has no college experience but played for Alkmaar Zaanstreek, better known as AZ Alkmaar, a Dutch professional club that plays in the highest professional league in the Netherlands.

During Helmer’s eight years with the club, he helped them win multiple international tournaments, three regional championships and two National Championships.

“Quinten will be a wonderful addition to our program,” Yeagley said. “His high-end technical ability and soccer IQ will help us in several midfield roles heading into next fall. Quinten's cultured left foot, tireless work rate and versatility will provide an immediate impact to our program. We are very excited to have a young and international player join us at Indiana.”

Helmer and Ahlinvi will join 12 other recruits and an experienced core of returning players from a season ago. The Hoosiers won the Big Ten regular season title and Big Ten Tournament title in 2018 while finishing the season ranked No. 3 in the nation. IU reached the NCAA Tournament for 32nd-straight year and 43rd time in program history, which is an NCAA record. IU also advanced to its 20th College Cup, another NCAA record.

The Hoosiers just concluded their spring season in April, where they finished with a 7-1 record, and will now bring in the recruits for summer training before beginning the season in August.