Two IU men's basketball signees named finalists for 2019 IndyStar Mr. Basketball award

tjd3.jpg

The only two players currently in the Class of 2019 for IU men's basketball are both in contention for the 2019 IndyStar Mr. Basketball award.

Center Grove High School forward Trayce Jackson-Davis and Cathedral High School guard Armaan Franklin are two of the four finalists for the honor.

The other two finalists are New Castle High School guard Luke Bumbalough and Valparaiso High School guard Brandon Newman. Bumbalough is committed to Ball State University and Newman is committed to Purdue.

The award signifies the top senior boys basketball player in the state, and it’s determined by votes from the state’s coaches and media members.

The winner will be announced May 5 at the IndyStar Sports Awards banquet at Butler University.

Franklin averaged 23.8 points, 7.5 rebounds and  2.3 steals per game this past season as Cathedral went 18-6. He would be the first Mr. Basketball recipient from Cathedral.

Jackson-Davis won a regional championship with Center Grove while averaging 22 points, 9.4 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game. He was a McDonald’s All-American Game selection as Center Grove won its second regional championship.

Jackson-Davis would also be the first Mr. Basketball selection from Center Grove.