arts performances

Students step up for the upcoming RedSteppers audition

entdance040419.JPG

The RedStepper Dance Team is looking to add its newest class of performers at its spring 2019 auditions at 10 a.m. April 28 in Ray E. Cramer Marching Hundred Hall.

But, this year’s audition is going to be a little different.

The group welcomed a new coach in late March, former Colts cheerleader Brookelyn Wood. She said she is set on making some changes within the group, such as altering routines and increasing community outreach.

“I’m hoping to change the style of the dance team,” Wood said. “I’m aiming to make it more modern.”

Although the group has been at IU for almost 50 years, the traditional dance styles it's maintained have left dancers feeling restless, said Madison Kump, a sophomore auditioning for her second year on the team. Kump said the upcoming changes have stirred excitement within the women in the group because some have felt the past few seasons have been monotonous.

“There have been no changes in my time on the team since I was a freshman to my junior year,” said Julia Solazzo, a junior auditioning for her fourth year on the team. “Everything is recycled, we did every single dance the same.”

Kump said the team did not resist the changes Wood proposed.

“To hear that we’re going to incorporate different types of dancing, the whole team got on board because it’s fun and exciting to learn new dances and always be on our toes,” Kump said. “It was the same thing every year, very routine, and it kind of got a little boring and old.”

Wood said she also wants to add more of a presence on campus for the group by extending its season and getting more involved on social media.

Initially, the RedSteppers’ season was active in the fall semester with performances at football games, but Wood said she wants to extend their season into the spring with additional community engagement and more sporting event performances.

Wood said the team is expecting a higher turnout rate for the spring auditions as a result of changing from two yearly auditions to one.

The audition consists of a clinic in the morning where dance routines are taught and an actual audition in the afternoon after a lunch break.

Although the audition’s structure will be the same as years past, Wood said every previous member has to re-audition, so no spot on the team is ensured.

This makes the stakes higher for the women auditioning, and Solazzo said some of the returning members are apprehensive.

“I am nervous," Solazzo said. "In years past, if you still kept up your ability and still were able to dance, you kind of knew you were going to be on the team. Brookelyn made it clear that it’s not that way anymore, no one’s spot is guaranteed.”

Although the upcoming audition may be more competitive, Wood said there are plenty of steps one can take to prepare to do her best at the audition.

“Girls should drink lots of water, stretch to work on flexibility because that’s extremely important, and eat healthily to prepare” Wood said. “We want girls who can be excited, spunky and eloquent when asked about their experience as a RedStepper.”

Both Kump and Solazzo said they suggest dancing and stretching every day, as the kick line is an integral part of the RedStepper’s routine. Kump also said she suggests checking out the team's social media and finding YouTube videos of routines to become familiar with its work.

More information about the schedule and what is specifically required for the audition can be found online.

“I can’t imagine college without it,” Kump said. “If anyone is thinking of auditioning, go for it, because it has been the best experience ever.”