sports water polo

IU water polo set to close out conference play in California

iu water polo

With just three games left in the regular season, the Hoosiers look to close with momentum beginning with a trip to California. 

IU will matchup against two Mountain Pacific Sports Federation opponents over the weekend. IU will play San Jose State University at 3 p.m. Saturday in San Jose, California, before traveling north to play the University of California, Berkeley at 7 p.m. Sunday in Berkeley, California. 

Freshman Tina Doherty continues to lead the team on the offensive attack and awarded with the MPSF Newcomer of the Week for her impressive performances.

After being away from competition in the pool for almost three weeks, the Hoosiers are still focused on closing out their conference play with wins against both an unfamiliar as well as a familiar opponent.

IU plays its first match against San Jose State, which beat it in 2017 by a single point, 4-3. This is an unfamiliar opponent for the Hoosiers, who they’ve only played twice since 2014 and haven’t beaten since the 2005 season. 

IU will look for revenge this weekend when it plays San Jose State. With strong young players such as freshman attacker Tina Doherty, freshman utility Izzy Mandema and freshman utility Hannah Falls-Hand, the team will look to get its first win in the series in almost 15 years.

The Hoosiers played the Golden Bears earlier this season at the Stanford Invite in February. The Hoosiers fell short in that match by a score of 15-7. The last time IU got a win against California was also in 2005.

A key to success for the Hoosiers will come from their leading scorer Doherty and freshman goalkeepers Sarah Greeven and Mary Askew. Greeven has been outstanding for the Hoosiers this year, and she ranks in the top 10 for goalies in the MPSF.