sports track & field

IU track and field to split up once again, compete in three meets

spiutfpreview41719

After a successful week competing as a full team, the Hoosiers are splitting up once again and taking on three separate meets.

IU track and field will send athletes to compete in the Cardinal Classic at Stanford University, the War Eagle Invite at Auburn University, and the Kentucky Open at the University of Kentucky.

Heading out west for IU will be the mid-distance and distance runners. They are set to compete in the 800-meter races and the 1,500-meter races on both the men’s and women’s side. The men will have one lone participant in the 5,000-meter race as well.

A few of the athletes traveling to Stanford this weekend are making their return after competing in the Stanford Invitational just a few weeks ago. These include seniors Daniel Michalski and Katherine Receveur, juniors Kyle Mau and Bryce Millar and sophomore Ben Veatch.

Two of these Hoosiers grabbed first place and set NCAA-leading times in that meet. Michalski did so in the steeplechase and Mau set his mark in the 5,000-meter.

Veatch followed up Mau in the 5,000-meter, finishing in third place, and Millar saw competition in the 10,000-meter.

This weekend, the athletes are set to compete in different events than last time.

Mau, Michalski and Veatch are all set to compete in the 1,500-meter while Millar drops down from the 10,000-meter to take part in the 5,000-meter race.

Overall, the group will see most of the competition in the 1,500-meter race with a total of 16 participants, eight on both the men’s and women’s side.

Heading down to Auburn for IU will be the throwers to partake in the field events.

The small group of athletes will be participating in the hammer throw, discus throw and shot put.

For the women, freshman Alexis Hill, sophomores Maddy Pollard and Princess Brinkley, junior Khayla Dawson and senior Nycia Ford will be making the trip. For the men it will just be senior David Schall and sophomore Nick Lane.

Brinkley and Ford will compete in one event, the hammer throw, while the others will take part in multiple events.

Hill will compete alongside those two in the hammer throw but will also compete in discus throw.

Dawson and Pollard will see competition in the discus throw and the shot put.

For the men, Lane will take part in the hammer throw while Schall competes in the discus throw. Both men will also compete in the shot put.

The action at Stanford and Auburn gets underway Friday, while competition from Kentucky is slated to begin Saturday.