sports baseball

IU to face Evansville in important nonconference weekend series

spiubasepreview41119

After playing Big Ten Conference series in each of the last three weekend, IU will take a break to face the University of Evansville in a four game series beginning Friday.

Evansville has been a bit of a surprise this season out of the Missouri Valley Conference. It comes to Bloomington with a 17-11 record and series wins over Iowa and Dallas Baptist University. The Aces enter Thursday ranked 35th nationally in the Rating Percentage Index.

The series opener will be played in Evansville and the following three games will be in Bloomington. It was a series planned by Evansville manager Wes Carroll and former IU Head Coach Chris Lemonis. 

Senior outfielder Nate Reeder leads Evansville offensively with a .324 batting average, three home runs and 22 runs batted in.

The starting pitching of Evansville has been subpar at best this season, but the bullpen has been strong. Senior Austin Allinger and freshman Michael Parks both post sub-three earned run averages. 

After dropping the series opener against Penn State last Friday, IU swept a doubleheader last Saturday behind the efforts of senior utility man Matt Lloyd.

On Wednesday, IU outlasted in-state rival Purdue in a ten inning and highly contested game that was ended by senior infielder Cade Bunnell’s walkoff single. 

IU will look to extend its winning streak to four games Friday night in Evansville as it is expected to send senior ace Pauly Milto to the mound for the 7 p.m. first pitch.