baseball

IU baseball wins fourth straight Big Ten series

baseball

For the first time since 2014, a year in which IU hosted an NCAA regional, it has won its first four conference series of the season.

IU defeated Michigan State 11-2 in the second game of a doubleheader Sunday to win the series two games to one.

The win moved IU to 27-13 overall and 9-3 in conference play. The Hoosiers are now the top team in the Big Ten standings, based off of winning percentage, in the Big Ten.

IU started the series with a resounding 13-4 win Friday night. Senior pitcher Pauly Milto once again turned in an outstanding performance. Milto went seven innings strong, allowing just four runs while striking out seven Michigan State batters.

Junior utilityman Scotty Bradley continued his hot offensive streak with a single and one run batted in to begin the scoring in the top of the first inning.

Senior catcher Wyatt Cross, junior infielder Drew Ashley and junior outfielder Matt Gorski all added runs batted in during the second inning to give Milto a comfortable lead.

Michigan State tied the game at four in the third. Four bases loaded walks in the top of the fifth would give IU the lead back for good Friday night.

IU and Michigan State got rained out Saturday but played a doubleheader Sunday afternoon.

Junior pitcher Tanner Gordon got the start in the first game Sunday but only lasted five innings before being lifted after getting hit in the arm by a ball.

IU carried a 3-0 lead into the bottom of the seventh inning before sophomore pitcher Connor Manous and the bullpen imploded, allowing five runs en route to a 5-3 loss.

In the second game Sunday, Gorski got things started with a two-run blast. IU would never look back. Sophomore outfielder Elijah Dunham doubled in two runs in the fourth inning to double the lead.

Meanwhile, junior pitcher Andrew Saalfrank dominated the Michigan State lineup. He went seven innings, striking out 11 and allowing just one run as IU beat Michigan State 11-2 to win the series.

IU returns to action this Tuesday in at Victory Field in Indianapolis against Ball State University.