arts iu auditorium performances

‘Finding Neverland’ to finish off IU Auditorium season

entneverland041119.JPG

The musical “Finding Neverland,” inspired by the Academy Award-winning film, will make a stop in Bloomington for two performances at 7:30 p.m. April 23 and 24 at the IU Auditorium.

The story follows playwright J.M. Barrie, who struggles to find inspiration until he meets a widowed mother and her four sons. Inspired by the boys, Barrie conjures up the magical world of Neverland and writes a play that captures London’s attention.

“It’s just a beautiful reminder of what it’s like to be a child and how you can carry that into your adult life as well,” actress Ashley Edler said.

Edler, who plays J.M.’s wife Mary Barrie in the musical, said she was a huge fan of “Peter Pan” growing up. She said she knew this was a show she was going to fall in love with.

“When this particular show came out on Broadway, I knew in some weird way that it was going to be a show I was a part of in some capacity,” Edler said.

The musical is directed by Tonywinner Diane Paulus and received Broadway.com’s Audience Choice Award for Best Musical. The musical features songs such as “Neverland” and “Stronger.”

“We are thrilled to bring this enchanting story of how Peter became Pan to our stage to conclude our 2018–2019 season,” said IU Auditorium Executive Director Doug Booher in a press release. “With magnificent scenery, beautiful songs, and a magical story, 'Finding Neverland' is sure to make for a special evening for all ages.”

Tickets for the show start at $17 for IU Bloomington students and children and $29 for the general public. Tickets can be purchased online or at the IU Auditorium box office.

“I think that adults are going to expect to be moved and reminded to play and not take anything too seriously, but enjoy the little things,” Edler said.