sports swimming & diving

Three Hoosier divers qualify for men's national championships

spiumsdrecap31619.jpg

Senior James Connor and sophomores Andrew Capobianco and Mory Gould all qualified for the 1- and 3-meter diving events at the NCAA Zone C Championships in West Lafayette, Indiana.

Connor and Capobianco took first and second, respectively, on both the 1- and 3-meter dives. The senior and sophomore were also the only divers to earn 800 points or more on the springboard events.

Connor scored 833.75 points, and Capobianco had 804.65 in the 1-meter.

“There have been multiple layers of mentorship happening this year with our Olympian diver James Connor and even our young Andrew Capobianco working with the entire team,” IU diving Coach Drew Johansen said.

Gould, a sophomore who didn’t qualify for the national championships last season, took 11th and qualified with 649 points.

“Mory showed the resilience it takes to get through a qualification meet this time around,” Johansen said. “He had some flashes of brilliance and managed to keep it all together. He could be a huge help in the team’s quest for the title.”

On the 3-meter, Connor had 843.55 points and Capobianco had 834 points. Their respective scores were more than 40 points higher than the next best score in the field. Gould’s 703.25 points put him in ninth and also earned him another spot at the national championships.

Capobianco finished seventh on the platform dive with 687.70. He will be the only IU male diver competing in all three events from March 27-30 in Austin, Texas.

Johansen said the University of Texas, University of Tennessee and University of Miami will be the strongest opponents to go head-to-head with the IU divers.

In addition to the three divers, the following swimmers were announced earlier this week as representatives for IU in Austin, Texas: senior Zach Apple, freshman Zane Backes, sophomore Bruno Blaskovic, freshman Michael Brinegar, freshman Mikey Calvillo, sophomore Gabriel Fantoni, senior Ian Finnerty, senior Vini Lanza, freshman Van Mathias and junior Mohamed Samy.

“This is a great team atmosphere we have right now with everyone supporting everybody for the tournament,” Johansen said.