Instant Recap: IU men's basketball wins at home against No. 6 Michigan State

iubb-wisconsin--4.jpg

* FINAL: IU defats No. 6 Michigan State 63-62.

Hoosiers had a defensive stand with 8.5 seconds left to win the game before students stormed the court in Bloomington.

IU has March hopes again for the NCAA Tournament.

Here's the final possession and the ensuing court storming. IU is now 15-14 overall, 6-12 in conference play and has secured the season sweep of Michigan State.

* Under-4 timeout (2:44 to go in the game) MSU leads IU 62-59.

Grandstand finish coming up for IU, but is this really a surprise now?

Devonte Green has 11 second-half points off the bench for IU, helping make up for a lackluster 13-point game combined from Morgan and Langford so far.

* Under-8 timeout (7:37 to go in the game) MSU leads IU 54-49.

A championship response from the Spartans, going on a quick 6-0 run out of the under-12 timeout.

Smith with 21 is the only IU player in double digits scoring. Winston has 17 points and 10 assists, while Xavier Tillman has an 11-point, 10-rebound double-double as well for MSU.  

Could be another exciting finish in Bloomington.

* Under-12 timeout (11:42 to go in the game) MSU leads IU 45-44.

Devonte Green and De'Ron Davis have come off the bench to help spur IU to a 9-0 run to bring IU within one point of Michigan State.

Took less than two minutes for the Hoosiers to close the gap, including some very solid defensive play and a very loud Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

* Under-16 timeout (16:00 to go in the game): MSU leads IU 39-33.

Sluggish start to the half form IU was followed by an IU timeout, then increased focus on the defensive end. Michigan State hasn't scored in the last 2:13 of game time.

Smith is up to 19 points now, one away from his career high.

* HALFTIME: Michigan State leads IU 35-28.

IU lost momentum toward the end of the half, but in reality despite Justin Smith's 16-point half, the offense wasn't spread out enough.  

No other IU player has more than three points.  

Cassius Winston with nine points and seven assists to lead MSU, and the potential Big Ten Player of the Year candidate has really made it look effortless.

Juwan Morgan and Romeo Langford are a combined 1-9 from the field and have four points.  

Only four rebounds and three assists between them as well, and three of each of those have come from Morgan.  

Smith's been a great surprise this half, but it's not sustainable for IU. The Hoosiers need another strong offensive presence like Morgan or Langford to take control.

* Under-4 timeout (3:48 to go in the first half) MSU leads IU 29-23.

The Hoosiers have finally started to get baskets from players not named Justin Smith.

Rob Phinisee hit a 3-pointer and Devonte Green made a layup, but Smith still has 16 points, a new season-best.

His career-high in points is 20, and he's also already set a new career-high with three made 3-pointers.

* Under-8 timeout (7:44 to go in the first half) MSU leads IU 20-14.

It's been more than four minutes since Michigan State scored a point, thanks to a combination of offensive ineptitude and good defense by IU.

Remarkably, we are more than a quarter of the way into the game and Justin Smith is the only IU player who has made a field goal.

He has five made shots and 13 of the 14 IU points.

* Under-12 timeout (11:18 to go in the first half) MSU leads IU 20-11.

An offensive clinic is being put on by MSU to start today's game.

Spartans have made nine of their 11 shots, with six different players scoring. The shots have been open and easily accessible, despite some not terrible defense by IU.

Justin Smith has a pair of 3-pointers and 10 of the 11 total IU points. 

IU is shooting 4-14 as a team, and players not named Justin Smith are shooting 0-8, including an 0-3 showing from Juwan Morgan so far.

* Under-16 timeout (15:30 to go in the first half) MSU leads IU 11-7.

After getting out to a 9-2 start which featured gathering the game's first seven rebounds, MSU has allowed IU to gain a bit more control of the game.

Justin Smith has all seven of IU's points, including a rare 3-pointer from the sophomore forward.

* IU wins the opening tip.

* Here are the starting lineups for today's game.

* Ahead of today's game, here's three things to know about the matchup and a look at what has changed recently during IU practices.

* This is the second meeting between the Hoosiers and Spartans this season. IU defeated Michigan State, 79-75 in overtime, in early February in East Lansing, Michigan.

* Hello and welcome to today's live updates page for the men's basketball game between IU and No. 6 Michigan State.