sports softball

IU softball looks to rediscover its winning ways

spiusoftballpreview32819.jpg

A slumping IU softball team is in search of answers after hitting a rough patch in the season with the opening of Big Ten play.

Following a historic 25-6 start that had IU’s confidence sky high, it has since fallen back down to earth, losing its last four games and eight of its last 12.

At the epicenter of IU's struggles during its losing skid has been an inability to capitalize on run-scoring opportunities, as seen by the eight runners left on base in Tuesday’s 5-2 loss against the University of Louisville.

Though a return home to Andy Mohr Field could help the team halt the losing streak, IU will face a Michigan State team that’s 11-18 overall — the second-worst record in the Big Ten.

Through 29 games this season, Michigan State’s 4.31 earned run average bests only Maryland and Nebraska in the Big Ten, while its 93 strikeouts are just two more than Maryland’s conference-worst 91.

The Hoosiers should have little trouble scoring runs against a less-than-intimidating pitching staff, but the key for the team to walk away with a series victory doesn’t reside in its bats. Rather, it's IU’s bullpen.

Senior ace Tara Trainer and junior Emily Goodin will face Michigan State’s duo of Ebonee and Charla Echols. The sisters have a combined 50 hits, five home runs and 31 runs batted in and are integral to the Spartans run production.

On the whole, the Hoosiers will need contributions from everyone, something they consistently had prior to their slump. With inconsistent contributions throughout the lineup, the offense has struggled, which has been the biggest cause of this losing streak.

“We need to get ready to jump back into Big Ten action,” IU Head Coach Shonda Stanton said. “We can’t take any pitches off this weekend.”