sports softball

IU softball becomes fastest team in program history to reach 20 wins

spiusoftballrecap31719-4.jpg

As IU students and faculty dispersed for spring break, No. 19 IU softball embarked on a nine day, 12-game stretch.

The first seven games took the Hoosiers to Florida and the final five games were played in Bloomington for their home opener.

Clearwater, Florida played host to the USF-Clearwater Parks and Recreation Showcase Tournament, where IU had a chance to become the fastest team in program history to reach 20 wins, which it would eventually achieve.

Junior infielder Katie Lacefield had a big series, collecting six hits and five runs batted in while helping the Hoosiers win four of five games and improving to 21-3 on the season. The lone weekend blemish came on Sunday against Furman University when IU’s pitching staff allowed nine hits in a 5-1 loss.

“It was nice to see us get in a tight ballgame, make the plays when we needed them, get the big pitches when we needed the big pitches and clutch up,” IU Head Coach Shonda Stanton said.

The team received a much needed off day Monday before heading two hours south to Fort Myers on Tuesday for a double-header against Florida Gulf Coast University.

Game one of the two-game split saw FGCU defeat IU 3-1. The Hoosiers hit the ball well to the tune of three extra-base hits and six hits total but ultimately stranded too many runners on base to make up the deficit.

IU got its redemption in game two as junior pitcher Emily Goodin tossed her first complete game shutout of the season en route to a 2-0 win and a series split.

“I’m really pleased with this ballclub," Stanton said. "We’ve been on the road for 26 games and we’re sitting at 22-4, I would take that any year, any day of the week.”

On Friday, the Hoosiers returned home to Andy Mohr Field as they hosted the Hoosier Classic. Ohio University, Saint Francis University, Northwestern and University of Toledo traveled to Bloomington to take part in the weekend series.

IU’s bats got off to a hot start in a 9-6 victory over Toledo. Junior catcher Bella Norton accounted for a career-high five runs batted in. IU couldn’t carry that momentum into games two and three. The offense scored just one run combined, losing to Ohio 4-1 and getting shut out by Northwestern 5-0.

The Hoosier Classic wrapped up Sunday with IU rediscovering its offense in a 13-6 takedown of Saint Francis followed by a 6-4 win over Ohio.

“Our staff is so proud of how this group has responded to being down,” Stanton said. “That’s why this program is off to the best start in history – it’s the leadership and character of these kids.”

IU softball improved its record to 25-6 and looks ahead to conference play beginning at 6 p.m. March 22 at home against Ohio State.