arts performances music

Indie pop band Kero Kero Bonito comes to Bloomington this week

entkerobrief033119 copy.jpg

Indie pop band Kero Kero Bonito will perform in Bloomington at 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub.

The London-based band consists of singer Sarah Midori Perry and multi-instrumentalists Gus Lobban and Jamie Bulled. Perry has a Japanesemother and she sings and raps in Japanese and English for the band.

The show is 21-plus. Doors open at 8 p.m., an hour before the show starts. Advance tickets are available for $15 online, plus a $4.75 service fee, or at Landlocked Music. They canalso purchased at the door for $20.

The band released its second studio album, “Time ‘n’ Place,” last October. The album was positively received, with its more dreamy style representing a large departure from the band's critically acclaimed electropop first studio album “Bonito Generation.”

“The trio adds indie rock and noise music to their electropop bread-and-butter, venturing into darker thematic territory,” said Will Gottsegen for magazine the Fader.

The album is inspired by childhood. Perry’s childhood home in Otaru, Japan was demolished before the album was recorded, she said inpast interviews. Many of the lyrics on the album come from the nostalgia and emotions from remembering the past.

“That really got to me,” she said in an October interview with Flood Magazine. “The physicalness of the past is gone now. The only thing left of that era is the memories.”

Finnish electronic musician Jaako Eino Kalevi will open the show.

The show is part of the band’s North American tour, which also includes two performances at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.