arts community events iu cinema

Filmmaker Carlos Reygadas to come to IU Cinema

entcarlos032819

Filmmaker Carlos Reygadas is coming to the IU Cinema as part of the film screening series “Carlos Reygadas: His Time.”

With focus on five of Reygadas' films, the series began March 23 with the screening of his film “Japón” and will continue the rest of the month. Reygadas will be present at two of the events, the screening of “Nuestro Tiempo” at 7 p.m. Thursday and an on-stage interview event at 7 p.m. Friday.

The five films being screened for the series are “Japón,” “Silent Light,” “Nuestro Tiempo,” “Battle in Heaven” and “Post Tenebras Lux.” In addition to these, the IU Libraries Moving Image Archive Wells Screening Room presented the “Carlos Reygadas Shorts Program,” featuring films from 1998 to 2014. Many of Reygadas’ films explore the themes of the meaning of life, love and suffering.

"Through his precisely planned structure and shot lists, he then gives the camera the freedom to capture whatever steps into the frame," founding director of the IU Cinema Jon Vickers said in an email. "Nothing is improvised until the camera is turned on, giving the films formality and realism.”

Reygadas is an award winning filmmaker from Mexico City, and this series represents the first complete retrospective of his work in the United States. He first studied law in Mexico City then got a degree in conflict resolution in London. He began making short films in Brussels after working for the European Commission and the Mexican Foreign Service.

His newest film, “Nuestro Tiempo,” was nominated for the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. Reygadas has also won awards from the Cannes Film Festival, including the Caméra d’Or Award for his first film “Japón,” the Special Jury award for “Silent Light” and the Best Director Award for “Post Tenebras Lux.”

“He is a cinematic master who more people should know," Vickers said in the email.

The five films will be screened at the IU Cinema. Tickets for each film are $4, and Reygadas’ on-stage interview event is free and open to the public.