COLUMN: Smart NFL teams should stay away from Antonio Brown

spnsc30519

The 2019 NFL Scouting Combine has quickly passed us by with plenty of future NFL stars set to jump onto the scene.

The league's new year begins next week and with it, the start of free agency.

Big names will be on the market looking for new homes, such as Super Bowl 52 MVP Nick Foles and former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell, among others.

It also signals the beginning of trades being made, and the biggest name being made available is Bell’s ex-teammate, Antonio Brown

Brown made headlines with his displeasure in the Steelers organization at the end of a disappointing season that saw the team miss the playoffs on the final day of the season. Brown criticized the organization, specifically quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. It all culminated with the seven-time Pro Bowler tweeting that he enjoyed his nine years in Pittsburgh but was ready to move on.

His criticisms of Roethlisberger included the quarterback having a sense of betterment than the rest of his teammates. He also recently stated that he only wants guaranteed money – something hard to come by in the NFL – in his next contract, along with saying in an interview that he no longer even really needs football.

This situation shares paralells with Terrell Owens circa 2004-2005. Owens was coming off an incredible season with the Philadelphia Eagles where he was a major contributor in getting the team to its first Super Bowl since 1981. Philadelphia fell short to the New England Patriots despite Owens totaling 122 receiving yards and playing through a tough leg injury. That spring, Owens made comments about his displeasure with quarterback Donovan McNabb, leading to the beginning of his end with the team.

This could be the fate of any team that goes after Brown in the trade market. The gaudy numbers and past success could make owners believe that a trade would be worth it if they can just fix his attitude, which is easier said than done. Brown is 31 years old. Most people do not change their attitudes at that point in their life, especially one with such a history of success at the highest level.

The market right now is not favorable for Brown. It is reported that the Washington Redskins, Oakland Raiders and Tennessee Titans are the three front-runners for the wide receiver. A trend is setting for Brown, and it is not good. Teams that are well-run and competitive are staying away from him, while struggling teams are looking to take a chance on him.

There is also the trend that all of these teams' quarterbacks are not nearly as talented as Roethlisberger. Brown’s intentions are clear: money over wins. Brown has dug himself into a mess that he will struggle to climb out of, unless he looks in the mirror and changes himself before changing teams.