Clifton Moore, Vijay Blackmon set to transfer from IU men's basketball

Basketball_Nebraska_Moore_Tiplick.JPG

Neither Clifton Moore nor Vijay Blackmon will be part of Head Coach Archie Miller’s third season at IU.

Moore announced his decision to transfer from IU on Friday afternoon through a statement on his Twitter account, and Blackmon announced Saturday.

During the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons, Moore played a combined 24 games for the Hoosiers, but all of his appearances were off the bench, and his longest time played in a game was only eight minutes.

His highest scoring game for IU came in January, when he scored five points in a home loss to Nebraska.

Moore averaged 1.3 points and 1.7 rebounds per game this past season, and never developed a consistent role in the rotation of players used by Miller.

This came despite Miller often stating his intention to give bench players like Moore a bigger role in IU’s games.

His most notable appearance during the 2018-19 season came in a win at Penn State, as he recorded four rebounds, a block and a steal.

Moore was recruited to IU by the previous coaching staff, led by former Head Coach Tom Crean.

Moore was rated by 247Sports as a three-star player and the 151st best player nationally following his career at Hatboro-Horsham Senior High School in Horsham, Pennsylvania.

With Moore leaving, the Hoosiers now have a third scholarship to use next season, after the team used its two other scholarships on incoming forward Trayce Jackson-Davis and guard Armaan Franklin.

Should freshman guard Romeo Langford opt to leave the program and turn professional, it would give IU another scholarship to use.

Blackmon, the younger brother of former IU player James Blackmon Jr., started his college career at the University of Saint Francis, a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics school in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

He spent the 2016-17 season as a freshman with the Cougars, averaging more than nine points per game in 22 games. He then transferred to IU, but sat out the 2017-18 season to fulfill NCAA transfer requirements.

In the 2018-19 season, his only one with the Hoosiers, Blackmon was named an Academic All-Big Ten selection. He played in seven games for the Hoosiers, scoring a career-best five points in the season-opening home win against Chicago State University.

Blackmon was a nonscholarship player for IU, meaning the team still currently has only one scholarship to offer with the departure of Moore.