Alvin Ailey Dance Theater will visit IU Auditorium on its 60th Anniversary Tour

entailey031719

Alvin Ailey Dance Theater will return to Bloomington at 8 p.m. March 19 at the IU Auditorium as part of its 60th anniversary tour.

“We are extremely proud to bring back Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater to Bloomington,” IU Auditorium Executive Director Doug Booher said in a press release. “Precision, grace, and African-American culture will be on display as part of the company’s 60th anniversary tour and has the makings for a very special evening.”

The modern dance company was founded by choreographer and dancer Alvin Ailey in 1958. Ailey was accompanied by seven young black dancers when the group was first created. He led the company for 31 years until his death in 1989.

The company went on to become an instrumental part of African American dance tradition. It is now led by artistic director Robert Battle and comprised of 32 dancers.

The group still continues to fulfill Ailey’s mission of performing important works of the past as well as commissioning new ones. Through the beauty of dance and African-American culture, the company said it carries out the social role of uniting people of all ages, races and backgrounds.

The Ailey company’s repertoire consists of more than 235 works by over 90 choreographers. It has performed for nearly 25 million people in 48 states, 71 countries and six continents.

Tickets for IU students start at $17, and tickets for the general public start at $26.