crime & courts bloomington

Man charged in connection to alleged 2006 rape after DNA match

Beedie, J.jpeg

A 47-year-old Heltonville man was arrested by Bloomington police Friday for an alleged 2006 rape.

Jamison Beedie is the suspect believed to have entered a woman’s East Second Street home and raped her while armed with a knife, according to a Bloomington Police Department press release. 

Police were able to make the arrest because of a Feb. 5 DNA match. 

The woman was showering on March 28 when Beedie entered the house through the unlocked front door. The woman told police she left the door unlocked because she knew her boyfriend would arrive soon. 

Beedie came into the bathroom holding one of the woman’s kitchen knives and told her to get out of the shower, police said. The woman told police she tried to escape, but the man grabbed her arm and forced her into a bedroom. 

The woman’s boyfriend arrived and saw the suspect on top of his girlfriend. Beedie then left the apartment. 

The woman went to the hospital where she had a forensic exam.

Beedie's DNA was collected when he was arrested on a felony charge in Lawrence County in late 2018. Evidence collected from almost 13 years ago resulted in a DNA database match Feb. 5. 

The Indiana State Police Laboratory notified BPD of the match.

Detectives traveled to Lawrence County on Feb. 8 to arrest Beedie. After an interview, he was booked into the Monroe County Jail on preliminary charges of rape and burglary.