sports softball

IU softball remains undefeated on the season after ACC/Big Ten Challenge

Spiusbrecap21719.JPG

Sophomore Camryn Woodall said she wasn’t exactly trying to hit a home run.

A transfer from the University of Utah, Woodall had only started two other games for No. 24 IU softball this season.

In the final game of the weekend against Syracuse University, Woodall started at second base and was No. 2 in the batting order.

Syracuse had tied the game 1-1 in the third inning. With two outs in the fifth, Woodall came up clutch. She hit her first career home run with a shot toward left field. 

It was a solo home run that sparked three more runs as IU defeated Syracuse 5-1 to remain undefeated on the season.

“I was just excited to be given the opportunity,” Woodall said. “We’ve all worked so hard as Team 46 just to get to this point. It’s amazing that we were able to come out of this weekend 9-0, and when I saw where I was playing, I was ready for the challenge.”

As part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, IU played two games against both Syracuse and Duke University. The Hoosiers outscored both teams 16-7.

In the first game Friday afternoon against Duke, senior Tara Trainer flirted with a no-hitter, but a single to shortstop with two outs in the seventh ended that opportunity.

The Hoosiers only gave up 15 hits on the weekend and was the first team to score in each game.

Further, four different players hit home runs this weekend compared to three in the five games prior.

“Outstanding pitching performances and making plays defensively, that’s the difference,” IU Coach Shonda Stanton said. “We have two star components right now, so it changes the game. Once our hitting comes around, you’re talking about a ball club that can be pretty good.”

As the lone undefeated team remaining in the Big Ten, the Hoosiers are out to their second-best start in program history. 

Stanton's message to her team during the 9-0 start has been “say yes to possibilities.” With such a long season in front of them, this start is only the beginning of what she expects from her team.

This upcoming weekend holds another five games on the road as part of the Black and Orange Challenge in Macon, Georgia.

“We’ve got nothing to lose and just have to go out there and play,” Woodall said. “We have a lot of confidence going into this and are just focused on making history with Indiana softball and wanting to make ourselves relevant. Saying yes to possibilities and being confident I think is who we are.”