sports baseball

IU baseball offense struggles without Matt Gorski in series sweep to Tennessee

Baseball_vs_ISU_2.jpg

Not even a strong Sunday start could spell change for IU baseball this weekend. 

IU struggled during the first two games of the series, and it was no different on Sunday afternoon. IU dropped the final game of the series 5-3 to the University of Tennessee.

Sunday’s loss followed a 11-0 defeat Saturday afternoon.

IU came to Knoxville on the heels of a series win over the University of Memphis last weekend. The loss of Matt Gorski to injury this weekend threw the offense out of sync. Without its top hitter in Gorski, IU’s offense stumbled to just four runs in three games in a series sweep at the hands of Tennessee.

On Saturday, IU turned in arguably its worst performance of the season. IU managed just three hits all afternoon while striking out 21 times. Tennessee pitcher Zach Linginfelter gave them a solid effort on the mound, going six innings while striking out 13 IU batters. 

Three errors from IU and a handful of walks gave Tennessee easy scoring chances throughout the game. Tennessee had 11 runs Saturday afternoon on just 10 hits. 

Sunday saw IU turn in its best performance of the weekend. Senior infielder Cade Bunnell, senior catcher Ryan Fineman and sophomore infielder Cole Barr all hit solo home runs early on in the final game of the weekend, giving IU a 3-0 lead. But it wasn’t enough. 

IU sophomore pitcher Tommy Sommer rolled along for four innings. In the fifth, Tennessee’s Luc Lipcius chased Sommer out of the game with a bases clearing double that would give the it the lead. It was a lead Tennessee never relinquished.

IU, which dropped to 2-4 on the season, will return to action Tuesday afternoon at 3 p.m. as the University of Cincinnati comes to Bloomington for the 2019 home opener.