arts iu cinema

Oscar-nominated film ‘The Favourite’ to screen at the IU Cinema this weekend

entfavouritebrief020419.jpg

“The Favourite,” the newest film from Greek filmmaker Yorgos Lanthimos, is coming to the IU Cinema’s screen this weekend. 

The movie is scheduled to play at 10 p.m. Friday and 4 p.m. Sunday at the cinema. Tickets to screenings are $4 for students and $7 for non-students. 

The movie dramatizes and satirizes the life of Queen Anne, an 18th-century English monarch whose court was rife with drama and excess. Olivia Colman stars as Anne, and Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz costar as a pair of power-hungry leading ladies vying for the queen’s favor.

Lanthimos is known for his recent films, “The Lobster” and “The Killing of a Sacred Deer” and was previously nominated for a screenplay Oscar for the former. 

“The Favourite” was recently nominated for ten Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actress for Colman, Best Supporting Actress for both Stone and Weisz and a number of craft awards. 

In addition to being recognized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, “The Favourite” has captured the affection of other awards bodies and critics. It earned Best Actress for Colman at the Golden Globes, glowing reviews from critics and a spot on the American Film Institute’s Movie of the Year list.

The movie holds a 94 percent positive critic score on movie review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.9 out of 10 on IMDb.