Book on Central American children immigrants to be discussed for 'Mexico Remixed'

<p>Maria Aracely, 18, and her daughter Linze, 1, fled their home in Honduras for Texas. As part of the "Mexico Remix" festival, IU Libraries will have a book discussion on Valeria Luiselli’s “Tell Me How it Ends: An Essay in 40 Questions,” which is about Luiselli’s experience with Latin American children facing deportation as they come into the United States.</p>

Maria Aracely, 18, and her daughter Linze, 1, fled their home in Honduras for Texas. As part of the "Mexico Remix" festival, IU Libraries will have a book discussion on Valeria Luiselli’s “Tell Me How it Ends: An Essay in 40 Questions,” which is about Luiselli’s experience with Latin American children facing deportation as they come into the United States.

The IU Libraries will be bringing “One Book, One Campus, One Community: Mexico Remixed Edition” to Herman B Wells Library at 6 p.m. Feb. 27. 

The book discussion is part of "Mexico Remixed," a festival created by the Arts and Humanities Council, according to the IU Libraries website. 

The book discussion will be on Valeria Luiselli’s “Tell Me How it Ends: An Essay in 40 Questions.” 

The content of the book is based on Luiselli’s experience with Latin American children facing deportation as they come into the United States. Her job as a translator for these children, who are caught at the border, is to translate 40 official questions like, “Why did you come to the United States?” 

The event will be lead by Alberto Varón, a professor of English and Latino Studies, in the Wells Library Scholars’ Commons. 

The event is free and open to everyone. For those who can’t make it, there will be a simultaneous Twitter chat happening using the hashtag #1BookIU. 

More information regarding the discussion and related events can be found on the IU Libraries website.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments