Bloomington Playwrights Project to showcase local plays in new reading series

<p>Members of the Bloomington Playwrights Project act in "Beating a Dead Horse" in 2017. The BPP will debut a new Sunday reading series at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 24 in the BPP lobby on West Ninth Street.</p>

Members of the Bloomington Playwrights Project act in "Beating a Dead Horse" in 2017. The BPP will debut a new Sunday reading series at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 24 in the BPP lobby on West Ninth Street.

The Bloomington Playwrights Project will debut a new Sunday reading series at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 24 in the BPP lobby on West Ninth Street.

The BPP Bloody Mary Bi-Monthly Reading Series will feature the work of local professional playwrights. Along with the reading, there will be a virgin bloody mary bar and free bagels and cream cheese. 

The event was organized in collaboration with the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center, and the IU Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance and some local professional playwrights.

The first reading Feb. 24 will be of Peter Gil-Sheridan’s comedy “The Space Between Us,” directed by Jonathan Michaelsen. Following the reading there will be a discussion with Gil-Sheridan. 

The next reading will be at 1:30 p.m. April 21 of Karina Cochran’s play “Dancing to Birth,” which was inspired by her pregnancy dancing class. 

“This collaboration was born out of the desire to showcase Bloomington’s diverse local talent,” Cochran, program liaison and playwright, said in a press release. “Many of our local writers have had work produced in New York or Los Angeles, but lack opportunities here in their own hometown. Hopefully this will help change that.”

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.