COLUMN: The Democratic response: yet another political blunder

Opdemocrats011519

We've all seen it before. 

Political figures appearing before the American people, hoping to depict themselves as strong, capable leaders, just to have it backfire horrendously. 

These political blunders have destroyed political campaigns and even careers. One recent blunder, however, may have critically damaged an entire political party. 

Jan. 9, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., spoke on behalf of the Democratic Party. Their method of speaking to the American people was particularly unnerving and terrifying, creating yet another political blunder that will surely live on in infamy.

If you were able to watch President Donald Trump address the nation that Tuesday, you were treated to a number of important statistics and events all supporting the construction of a wall on our southern border. His manner and deliverance of the address was presidential and highly effective. 

After the conclusion of Trump’s address, we waited to hear the Democratic Party’s response. When Schumer and Pelosi took to the podium, it looked like they were about to announce the Purge.

Pelosi stared at the camera with a wide-eyed intensity that made it feel like she was trying to steal our very souls. Schumer’s attempt at an intimidating glare resulted in a look that just radiated malicious intentions. If Schumer looked at me the same way he looked at the American people that Tuesday night, I wouldn’t trust him to stand behind me in line at a McDonald's.

Truly, that’s a shame. Politicians should be the people who we feel comfortable trusting when our backs are turned. We trust them to represent us in our government and make sure our best interests are at heart. 

However, after being mad-eyed by these two for around five minutes, I’d expect them to be more invested in killing James Bond than improving our country. 

Whether you like it or not, these are the faces of the Democratic Party. Believe me, conservatives won’t forget this. Schumer and Pelosi have provided conservatives with anti-left propaganda for years to come. The entirety of the party is represented by this image, and it most certainly does not appeal to voters. 

Interestingly enough, this isn’t a first. Infamous political blunders have toppled political campaigns and careers in the past. 

One such blunder was the tank ride of then Gov. Michael Dukakis, D-Mass., in his 1988 presidential campaign against former Vice President George H.W. Bush. 

In a time where a strong leader with military capability was greatly desired, Dukakis thought there was no greater way to show he was strong than by riding around in a tank. As intended, pictures of his tank ride went viral, but not for the right reasons. 

You’d be hard-pressed to find a man who looked more out of place than Dukakis in that tank. His helmet looked too big for his head and frankly just made him look like a fool. One simple mistake and Dukakis utterly ruined his chance at the presidency. 

Yet another political blunder occurred when Richard Nixon debated John F. Kennedy during the election of 1960. This debate was particularly special because it was the first to be televised. 

During the debate, Kennedy was cool, collected and extremely charismatic. Nixon, on the other hand, seemed ill due to a recent knee injury and nervous. In addition, Nixon rejected an offer to wear stage makeup while Kennedy accepted it, making Nixon look pale and tired in comparison. 

Yet again, America witnessed another political blunder that cost a man an entire presidential election. 

In the same way, Schumer and Pelosi’s method of carrying themselves will live on in infamy and negatively affect their political careers. Their mistakes don’t just represent themselves; they represent the entire Democratic Party. When they look bad, the party looks even worse. 

The response by Democrats was the party’s opportunity to put its best foot forward. If these two are the best it has to offer, I’d hate to see their worst.