sports   |   men's basketball

Romeo Langford named Big Ten Freshman of the Week

iubb-ucd-edited-18

Freshman guard Romeo Langford attempts to score against University of California, Davis on Nov. 23 in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.  Ty Vinson Buy Photos

For the third time in his college career, IU freshman guard Romeo Langford has received the Big Ten Freshman of the Week award from the conference.

Langford was also named the conference’s Freshman of the Week on Nov. 19 and Dec. 10, 2018.

The latest award for Langford came as a result of his scoring exploits during IU’s last two conference games, a home win against University of Illinois and a road loss to No. 2 Michigan University.

He averaged 22.5 points, six rebounds, two-and-a-half assists and a 54.2 percent conversion rate on field goals during the two contests.

In particular, Langford was explosive on offense against the Fighting Illini and in the second half against the Wolverines. He scored a career-best 28 points against Illinois and had 11 second-half points in Sunday’s loss to Michigan.

When only taking Big Ten Conference games into account, Langford is the third-leading scorer in the conference, as he averages 20.5 points scored per game.

Langford and the Hoosiers will next be in action Friday night at the University ofMaryland.

More in Sports