sports women's basketball

IU women's basketball suffers first home loss in over a year

Pulliam

Northwestern sophomore guard Lindsey Pulliam did it again. 

After dropping 33 points against the Hoosiers last season, Pulliam scored 27 points in IU's 75-69 loss to the Wildcats Wednesday night at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. 

It was the Hoosiers' first home defeat since Jan.13, 2018.

As IU tried to battle back, Pulliam kept them at bay. 

Pull up jump shots? Money. Post ups? Easy work. Pump fakes? Almost Dwayne Wade-esk. 

Even her free throws were smooth — relaxes the shoulders, steps up to the line, spins the ball, takes two dribbles with her knees bent low, spins it one more time before releasing the pure shot into the nylon. 

“Pulliam is a very difficult young lady to guard,” IU Coach Teri Moren said. 

It wasn’t just Pulliam, though. Freshman guard Veronica Burton scored 19 points and hit five 3-pointers on the night. Moren said it was frustrating because she knew Pulliam would get her points, but to allow that many open threes to Burton was something she didn’t want to see.

“They’re great players," Junior guard Ali Patberg said. "We knew that going in. In the first half they got looks, and that wasn’t our game plan. They were able to get shots that were comfortable, and again, they’re great guards.”

Even the Wildcat forwards caused the Hoosiers problems, out-rebounding IU 42-29, 15 of which were offensive rebounds.

“Offensive rebounds and rebounds in general are all about toughness and grit,” junior forward Brenna Wise said. “I think we didn’t exceed their grit and toughness in those moments. You have to play the whole possession through.”

Redshirt junior Ali Patberg scored a few layups and 3-pointers to cut the deficit to single digits, but the Northwestern lead was too large. 

Moren said the Wildcats were the tougher team, she said was uncharacteristic of her squad.

“We have to circle back and figure out why they were tougher than we were tonight and fix it,” Moren said. “Then move on because it doesn’t get any easier.”

IU next plays Sunday in West Lafayette, Indiana, to take on Purdue.