student life bloomington

IU seniors start warm clothes drive as cold hits Bloomington

cadonations013019

Two IU seniors started collecting coats, scarves, mittens and other warm clothing Tuesday in preparation for the coming cold weather. 

Jenna Solomon and Allie Wineland realized their peers might not have the correct clothing for the extremely cold weather. Wineland said when she suggested they do something about it, Solomon agreed to help. 

“We are trying to impact a lot of students,” Wineland said. “We are trying to get to where they are.” 

They started getting donations by messaging their friends and asking them to forward the message. 

Since yesterday, they have collected enough winter weather gear to fill six bags and a lot of space in Wineland’s living room.

The pair have also raised about $300 in donations through Venmo and said they plan to use it to buy more winter clothes at Goodwill later today. 

To give people easy access to the clothing, Wineland said she plans to put boxes in the lobby of residence halls so people can get what they need.

She said they have even reached out to local coffee shops and hope to put out boxes of scarves and hats since many people without homes go to coffee shops to stay warm in cold weather. 

Wineland said she had people come to her house just this morning to get coats as well. 

Solomon said whatever doesn’t get picked up will be donated to the Shalom Community Center or the Middle Way House.  

The two said they are not sure how long this will continue. 

Solomon can be reached at (224) 567-9163 and Wineland at (317) 650-3151.