arts community events

Bloomington Pride film festival to show several LGBTQ-oriented films

pride2.jpg

The 17th annual Bloomington Pride film festival begins at 7 p.m. Feb. 1 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. 

This year’s lineup features screening of 20 different short and feature films, according to the festival’s website. 

Tickets to individual screenings are $10 for students and senior citizens and $20 for others. Festival passes for the entire weekend can be purchased for $45 for students and senior citizens, and $75 for other attendees.

Tickets and passes can be purchased at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater Box Office.

One feature-length film that will be screened at the festival, Rafiki, is a love story about two Kenyan women Kena and Ziki as their relationship puts their lives in danger of violent discrimination. The film was originally banned from screening in Kenya, a country with anti-LGBTQ legislation, for its positive portrayal of queer relationships. “Rafiki will be screened at the theater at 7:25 p.m. Feb. 1.

“Hard Paint (Tinta Burta)” follows Pedro, a livestreaming pay-per-view porn star who smears neon paint on his body while performing online. The Brazilian drama won the Outfest: International Narrative Feature Grand Jury Prize alongside others according to the Bloomington Pride website. There is a content warning for nudity, explicit sexual content and graphic violence. The film will be shown at the theater at 9:50 p.m. Feb. 1.

“Kanarie” is a coming-of-age musical war drama about a young boy drafted during apartheid in South Africa in 1985. The film follows the boy, Johan, as he joins the choir called the ‘Canaries’ and goes on a nationwide tour of the country. The musical-drama will be screened at 1:40 p.m. Feb. 2. 

Shot in Bloomington, “Hoosier,” follows Max recently out and struggling to settling into his queer identity. The film follows Max as he finds his place in the local queer subculture. The short film will be shown at 7:10 p.m. Feb. 2.

The festival schedule will include additional screenings at the IU Cinema, VIP events and an official after-show at The Back Door, a queer bar, according to the festival’s website.

Matinee showings are free for IU students and high schoolers but tickets are required.