arts   |   music

Auditions for the African American Choral Ensemble, IU Soul Revue are this week

892e6a65-c473-427e-b3b2-9140483e6e67-original

The IU African American Choral Ensemble, directed by Raymond Wise, performs a selection of music Jan. 16, 2017, in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Interested students can audition at 7 p.m. Jan. 9 for the African American Choral Ensemble or the IU Soul Revue. IDS file photo Buy Photos

Interested students can audition Wednesday for the African American Choral Ensemble or the IU Soul Revue.

Both groups are part of the African American Arts Institute founded in 1974, which runs three on-campus performing ensembles dedicated to promoting black music and dance: the African American Choral Ensemble, the African American Dance Company and the IU Soul Revue. 

The ensembles are technically classes, and students earn credit for performing.

After a set of auditions earlier this week, students interested in joining the African American Choral Ensemble have one more chance to try out. The second set of auditions is scheduled to take place at 2:30 p.m. Jan. 9 in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. 

No previous experience is required, and students who audition need to prepare a piece and plan to learn and perform a piece with the ensemble. Students planning to play an instrument must contact the director of the ensemble, Raymond Wise.

Auditions to join the IU Soul Revue is scheduled to take place at 7:00 p.m. Jan. 9, also in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. Students interested in joining are instructed to prepare one rhythm and blues, soul, funk or gospel song to perform.  

Both singers and instrument-playing musicians can audition for either group. Students must RSVP online in order to audition. 

More in Arts