sports men's soccer

IU men's soccer defender Andrew Gutman wins MAC Hermann Trophy

Gutman Dribbles

After leading IU men’s soccer to the 2018 College Cup, senior defender Andrew Gutman was awarded the MAC Hermann Trophy as NCAA Division I men's soccer's national player of the year Friday night.  

The other two finalists for the award were University of Denver Andre Shinyashiki and University of Kentucky’s J.J Williams. Fellow Hoosier sophomore goalkeeper Trey Muse was a semifinalist for the trophy.

Gutman is the first Hoosier to win the award since Danny O’Rourke in 2004 when he led IU to back-to-back national championships. Before the MAC and Hermann trophies merged in 2002 to create a single award, IU had five other players named national players of the year: Angelo DiBernardo (1978), Armando Betancourt (1981), Ken Snow (1988 & 1990), Todd Yeagley (1994) and Brian Maisonneuve (1994).

Gutman guided the Hoosiers to the first perfect 8-0 record in Big Ten history to claim the conference regular season title. He also helped IU to a 3-0 win over Michigan to in the Big Ten tournament title game. 

Gutman led the team with 11 goals and totaled nine assists.

This offseason, Gutman has earned multiple other national honors including Top Drawer Soccer National Player of the Year, First-Team All-America by United Soccer Coaches, First-Team Best XI by Top Drawer Soccer, First-Team All-American by College Soccer News, Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and First-Team All-Big Ten.

Recently, Gutman had a tryout with Rangers FC of the Scottish Professional Football League.