sports men's soccer

Andrew Gutman signs deal with Celtic FC

Andrew Gutman

Since the middle of January, it’s been rumored that Andrew Gutman was going to sign a deal with Celtic FC.

On Thursday afternoon, the deal was officially announced. Before Gutman will join Celtic FC on a three-and-a-half-year contract, he’ll be on loan with Nashville SC of the United Soccer League to continue his development.

Celtic FC is a professional football club based in Glasgow, Scotland and has won the Scottish league championship 49 times. Gutman trialed with Rangers FC, a club from the same Scottish league, before ultimately signing with Celtic FC.

“For the immediate period I will be focusing on my loan in America where I look forward to playing as many matches as I can,” Gutman said in a press release from Celtic FC. “After that, I can’t wait to join Celtic and be part of such a storied institution.”

After guiding IU to the 2018 College Cup, Gutman was awarded the Mac Hermann Trophy as the top player in Division 1 men’s soccer. Gutman was the first Hoosier to win the award since Danny O’Rourke in 2004. He led the team with 11 goals and totaled eight assists as well.

Gutman also earned Top Drawer Soccer National Player of the Year, First-Team All-America by United Soccer Coaches, First-Team Best XI by Top Drawer Soccer, First-Team All-American by College Soccer News, Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and First-Team All-Big Ten.

“When I realized Celtic FC wanted to sign me permanently, I was really honored,” Gutman said in a press release from Celtic FC. “I know Celtic is a huge name in football, they have tremendous supporters and it is a club where I believe I can flourish as a player.”