Instant Recap: IU men's basketball beats Butler on winning shot by Rob Phinisee

spiubb111418-2.jpg

* FINAL: No. 25 IU defeats Butler 71-68.

Rob Phinisee with a game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer for IU.

IU is now 9-2 this season.

* Under-4 timeout (3:54 to go in the game) Butler leads No. 25 IU 64-62.

Sean McDermott has six three-pointers and 20 points for Butler.

Juwan Morgan has gone 11-13 from the field and has 31 points for IU.

Grandstand finish coming from Indianapolis, where the Hoosiers missed out on taking the lead with several empty possessions while down just one point.

* Under-8 timeout (6:56 to go in the game) Butler leads No. 25 IU 61-58.

Hoosiers had a three-pointer from Al Durham to try and tie the game, but he missed. Regardless, IU still down only three points with under seven minutes to go.

Juwan Morgan has continued to be everything offensively for the Hoosiers, as he has 29 points.

* Under-12 timeout (11:40 left in the game) Butler leads No. 25 IU 54-50.

It still feels surprising the Hoosiers are only down four points.

Butler continues to make three-pointers while Morgan and Langford provide IU with virtually all the offense.

Morgan has 24, Langford has 11 and no other Hoosier has more than six points.

* Under-16 timeout (15:54 left in the game) Butler leads No. 25 IU 49-39.

Rob Phinisee has become only the third IU player to make two or more shots in today's game, but the Bulldogs have continued to rain threes down on the Hoosiers.

Butler is 7-16 from three-point range. Butler's 10 offensive rebounds and 14 points off turnovers are also some defining stats from the game.

Further, the Bulldogs are just simply hustling and winning more 50/50 balls compared to IU.

* HALFTIME: Butler leads No. 25 IU 38-34.

Juwan Morgan leads all players with 18 points, and he now has more than 1,000 in his IU career, making him just the 52nd Hoosier all time to score that many points.

Hoosiers are a bit fortunate to be down just four points as they were frequently out-hustled and out-played by the Bulldogs in that opening frame. 

IU had nine first-half turnovers, while Romeo Langford led the team with four rebounds. Seven offensive rebounds from Butler have led to 12 second-chance points.

Eight different Bulldogs have scored, led by Kamar Baldwin with nine points.

Butler has made five three-pointers compared to IU's two.

* Under-4 timeout (3:25 left in the first half) Butler leads No. 25 IU 33-28.

The Hoosiers have closed the gap to just five points as Romeo Langford has also gotten going from the field. He has five points and is tied for the team lead with three rebounds.

Juwan Morgan is just one point away from 1,000 for his career.

Hoosiers are shooting a better percentage than the Bulldogs, but eight offensive turnovers from the Hoosiers have led Miller to make frequent lineup changes,

* Under-8 timeout (7:15 left in the first half) Butler leads No. 25 IU 25-16.

Juwan Morgan now has nine points to lead the Hoosier offense, but production has been lacking from others.

Butler has five three-pointers and IU has seven turnovers.

* Under-12 timeout (11:50 left in the first half) Butler leads No. 25 IU 15-6.

Hoosiers have six turnovers and have already played nine players in the game. IU is 3-10 from the field, while Butler has already made three three-pointers.

Aaron Thompson has seven for the Bulldogs.

* Under-16 timeout (15:41 left in the first half) Butler leads No. 25 IU 4-2.

Really slow start from both teams on the offensive end. IU is 1-5 from the field while Butler is 2-7.

Not a ton of offensive movement from IU and already three turnovers from the Hoosiers. Rob Phinisee was pulled from the game by Coach Archie Miller after some lackluster dribbling and replaced by Devonte Green.

* IU won the opening tipoff, but the Hoosiers then turned the ball over and then Al Durham missed a layup and a three-pointer, followed by a missed three by Rob Phinisee. Butler missed its first three shots.

Paul Jorgenson makes a layup to give Butler an early 2-0 lead.

* Here are the starting lineups for today's game.

* The Indiana Daily Student men's basketball reporters are on location at Bankers Life Fieldhouse for today's game, so follow Cameron Drummond, Murphy Wheeler and Ben Portnoy for updates.

* The Bulldogs are 7-2 overall, with losses to Dayton and Saint Louis.

* The Hoosiers enter Saturday's contest with an 8-2 overall record, a 2-0 mark in conference play and the No. 25 ranking in the country in the latest Associated Press poll.

* Hello and welcome to this afternoon's live updates page from Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis for the Crossroads Classic game between IU and Butler.