De'Ron Davis, Justin Smith provide interior help for IU men's basketball against Louisville

Basketball_Louisville_Phinisee_Tiplick2.JPG

While Juwan Morgan stumbled toward the IU bench, Justin Smith took flight.

During an early second half possession of IU 's 68-67 win against Louisville on Saturday afternoon in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, IU's reliable senior forward was inadvertently hit in the face by Louisville junior center Steven Enoch. 

The blow knocked Morgan out of action for the rest of the play, as his felt his face with his hand in search of blood or other injury.

He was powerless to help, so Smith took control.

IU's sophomore forward, criticized often for his lack of physicality, made his most aggressive play of the season. 

He took a pass from freshman guard Romeo Langford, blew past star Louisville sophomore forward Jordan Nwora, and soared over Enoch to deliver a powerful, one-handed dunk.

The moment sent Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall into a frenzy and not only kick started IU's resurgent second-half performance but also signified the role IU's front court players beside Morgan had in the victory.

Smith followed a pedestrian first-half performance, during which he had five rebounds, with an aggressive second half showing. 

"I think we made some changes offensively," Smith said. "Get the ball moving a little bit more, which moved the defense a little bit more, which opened up some driving lanes." 

He battled on the offensive and defensive glass, made determined cuts toward the basket to present himself as a scoring option and he finished when given the opportunity.

"When Juwan gets the ball in the post, he's always looking to pass," Smith said. "It gives me incentive definitely to dive knowing there's a possibility. It does open the floor time sometimes for him or somebody else, but it's definitely a part of our offense."

Basketball_Louisville_Morgan_Tiplick2.JPG
Senior forward Juwan Morgan dunks the ball against University of Louisville on Dec. 8 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Morgan scored 15 out of the 68 points scored by IU. Anna Tiplick

The nine points scored by Smith were his most since Nov. 23. It was also Smith's second consecutive game with nine rebounds, meaning he's recorded 44 percent of his rebounds this season during the last two games.

Saturday's win, the third straight for IU by one possession, was also the third straight contest that didn't require late-game heroics from Morgan.

After Langford's sturdy defense down the stretch against Northwestern and freshman guard Rob Phinisee's three-and-D showing to close out Penn State, it was senior forward De'Ron Davis' turn to positively affect the game for the Hoosiers.

Davis' eight points were his second-highest scoring output of the season, and it came in just 14 minutes of playing time off the bench. 

He was able to fully display his old-school, back-to-the-basket style of play, as he would receive the ball near the three-point line before working his way to the free-throw line to attempt a hook shot. 

"When he plays minutes, he gets fouled. You can obviously play through him," IU Coach Archie Miller said. "I think he's very shifty in the blocks going against other big guys. He's comfortable down there. He's a willing passer, he is unselfish."

Miller has said in the past that Davis has dealt with significant body pain and soreness as he "plays his way back into shape" following last season's Achilles injury. After Saturday's contest, Miller said Davis has been able to practice consistently during the last few weeks and Davis is in the best shape he's been in this season.

"Without question, De'Ron is a big part of what we're doing," Miller said. "When he's able to play a lot of minutes, he gives us another presence on the floor against other big people."

Both Davis and Smith were effective in their roles, Smith as a starter and Davis as a limited bench presence, because they stayed out of foul trouble and didn't commit turnovers.

This was Smith's first game with no turnovers since a blowout Nov. 9 home win against Montana State, while Davis has committed one turnover or fewer in each of his last five games.

With Morgan only scoring 15 points and five rebounds Saturday, the Hoosiers needed another front court presence to shoulder the statistical burden. For the first time this season, Smith seemed able to take on the responsibility. 

"I'll tell you what, again Justin has delivered a really good defensive performance," Miller said. "I thought he really competed late in the game. If Justin is getting nine rebounds, playing 30 minutes, he gets nine points, doesn't turn it over, that's the guy he has to be for us now.'