politics

Republican Mike Braun thanks supporters in Senate victory speech

BRAUN EVENT _15.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS – In his victory speech Tuesday night, Republican Mike Braun told supporters he wouldn’t have run for U.S. Senate if Donald Trump was not president. 

Braun spoke to a crowd of almost 200 people at the JW Marriott hotel in downtown Indianapolis. The event began at 6 p.m., but Braun did not arrive until his 10 p.m. when he gave his victory speech. 

He defeated incumbent Sen. Joe Donnelly, who gave a concession speech at 9:30 p.m. 

President Trump endorsed Braun at rallies around Indiana leading up to the election, urging voters to support Braun. Vice President Mike Pence and Bob Knight also appeared at Braun’s rallies.

“I want to thank all Hoosiers for giving me a resounding victory, for putting your faith in me,” Braun said. “I will not let you down.” 

Braun said Republicans need to keep working hard over the next two years to re-elect Trump. 

“We have to prove why our way of thinking, what works in Indiana, is going to work for the rest of America,” he said.

The crowd seemed consistently optimistic throughout the night. Cheering began around 8:45 p.m. when some news outlets began projecting victory for Braun and continued as more outlets projected wins for Braun and other Republican candidates. 

Many supporters at the election night event said they voted for Braun because he supported Trump. 

The audience cheered every time Trump was mentioned. At least a dozen bright red Make America Great Again hats stood out in the crowd. 

BRAUN EVENT _3.jpg
Seven-year-old Kira Kriete watches as her mom Jessica checks her phone during the Mike Braun watch party Nov. 6 in the JW Marriott in Indianapolis.  Matt Begala

“He’s going to be there for Trump,” said Trent Cole, 38, of Lafayette. 

The confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court seemed to be a galvanizing issue for many Braun supporters. Cole called Democrats’ treatment of Kavanaugh throughout the confirmation process a “disgrace.”

Cynthia Luster, 60, of Indianapolis, said she thinks the Kavanaugh hearings influenced many Republicans to turn out for the midterm elections. 

“The one thing I would love to see change in politics is that it’s gotten way too nasty on both sides,” Braun said. “It should be about ideas, about what you bring to the table.” 

Elise Johnson, 30, of Indianapolis identifies “in the middle” politically, she said. She voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Presidential election, but said she thinks Trump has done a good job so far.

She said she voted for Braun because she doesn’t trust Donnelly, calling him a flip-flopper. 

Braun’s 15-month campaign was full of early mornings and long days, Braun said. But, he thanked Hoosiers for supporting him and said he would do it over again. 

“Truly dear,” Braun said to his wife on stage, “We’ve lived the American Dream.”